Want a career that allows you to use your expertise outside of the lab? Want to be involved in cutting-edge technological innovations? As a patent attorney, you will play a fundamental role in how these innovations are protected
If you have a passion for your academic subject and want to work with innovations in your field from their conception, all whilst gaining professional qualifications, then a career as a patent attorney could be for you.
Company: International Patent and Trademark Attorney Firm
Location: Derby, East Midlands
Role: Trainee Patent Attorney
Salary: Competitive, negotiable based on experience
Start Date: ASAP (flexible)
Deadline: 3rd June 2019
Apply now below
Who is the company?
Even from the very early design stage, every new invention needs protection, which can be a complex process requiring expert guidance to achieve.
This company is one of the UK’s leading specialists in patents and trademarks, in operation for over 130 years and trusted by some of the world’s leading multinational companies:
- With international partnerships with other notable patent attorney firms in China, Japan, Europe and the US, they specialise in protecting engineering, technological, scientific and medical intellectual property
- They are experts in the entire process, from managing the initial application stage, maintaining IP portfolios all the way through to enforcing and defending IP rights from possible infringement
What is the role?
You will be working with cutting edge innovations long before they even make it to the market, in a role that is very different to traditional law – you don’t need any legal experience.
You will work towards becoming a fully qualified and certified patent attorney, with study leave for exams incorporated into your work.
Day to day responsibilities include:
- Researching inventions thoroughly to establish if they are eligible for protection and what type of protection they need (patent, trademark, copyright etc.)
- Assisting with the drafting and filing of new patents and trademarks
- Evaluating documents
- Reporting strategies to clients
- Advising on exploitation and enforcement to prosecute infringements where necessary
Why should you apply?
- You will work on cutting-edge projects with leading international companies, specialising in your specific area of expertise, be it science, technology or engineering etc.
- You will be able to pursue projects that interest you most
- You will be fully supported by an experienced and qualified mentor as well as receiving structured training
- You will join an exceptionally friendly culture with an open door policy
- A strong social scene: company netball and football teams, competitions, quiz nights, pub socials, and a Christmas party
- The possibility of flexible working hours once the company goes fully digital
- Private healthcare and subsidised gym membership
Who is best suited to this role?
You must have achieved or be on track for a 2:1 or above in any of the following degree subjects:
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Maths, Physics, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
The company are looking for candidates with the following:
- A consistently strong academic performance in Science, Maths and English Language – please include all GCSE and A-level (or equivalent) grades on your CV
- The ability to explain complicated ideas in a simple and clear manner
- A high level of attention to detail
- A team-oriented attitude
- An understanding of the role and why they want to be a patent attorney
- Industry experience or a PhD would be advantageous but not required